The Student Code of Conduct recently underwent a multi-step revision process (please see below) in which students, faculty, and staff had an opportunity to provide input. The revisions to the Code went into effect August 12, 2021. The new Code can be found here.
Steps for Code Revision Process:
- SCCS Staff sought approval and endorsement of the proposed revisions from campus administration and Division of Student Life staff;
- Once endorsement was provided by campus offices, proposed revisions submitted to the State Attorney General’s Office for preliminary review;
- After State Attorney General’s Office preliminary review, campus filed a Notice of Public Rulemaking Hearing with the Secretary of State;
- Conducted the public hearing no sooner than 53 days from filing with the Secretary of State;
- Addressed any public comments from the hearing and made revisions as necessary;
- Sought approval from the Board of Trustees;
- After Board approval, submitted to the State Attorney General’s Office for examination and approval as to legality;
- Filed the final proposed revisions with the Secretary of State;
- Review of proposed revisions by Tennessee General Assembly Joint Government Operations Committee.
- Upon successful completion of this process, changes to the Student Code of Conduct were officially implemented on August 12, 2021.
Code Revisions – 2021
Want to find out more about the revisions to the Student Code of Conduct? The PowerPoint shared at the Student Open Forum that took place in January of 2021 can be found by clicking here.
The Notice of Rulemaking Hearing for the proposed revisions was posted to the Secretary of State’s website. For more information about the Notice of the Rulemaking Hearing including the text of the proposed rules which were being considered, please visit the UTK Code of Student Conduct Notice of Rulemaking Hearing.
The public Rulemaking Hearing took place Monday, March 8, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. EST at Student Union Building, Room 362. Interested parties were able to submit written comments on or before March 5, 2021, by mail or email to the following person:
C. Ryan Stinnett, General Counsel
University of Tennessee
719 Andy Holt Tower
Knoxville, TN 37996