Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue
A student wearing an orange Tennessee shirt sitting down using his laptop.


Student Conduct and Community Standards (SCCS) relies on participation by the entire University community in order to uphold the Student Code of Conduct. The community has the opportunity to report incidents or possible violations to the University in a couple of different ways. This page is meant to help decipher which reporting option is appropriate for each unique situation. Please review our standards of conduct overview to understand what standard may have been violated.

There are five (5) basic ways of reporting listed in the tabs below:

Conduct Incidents

Most violations of the code can be reported through our Incident Reporting Form. This form will ask the reporting party to provide their information as well as much information about the student(s) involved and the situation. Please be sure to click the “add another party” button if more than one student was involved that SCCS should be aware of.

Violations that should not be reported in this way are: Academic Dishonesty, Campus Climate Concerns, and Sexual Misconduct. These violations will be reported in different ways as detailed in the tabs above.

If you have any specific questions, please contact us at

Academic Dishonesty

These types of violations include cheating, plagiarism, or any other act of academic dishonesty, including, without limitation, an act in violation of the Honor Statement. If a student is believed to have violated this standard, the instructor of the course should be made aware and follow the steps on our Academic Dishonesty process page.

If you have any specific questions regarding academic dishonesty, please contact us at

Campus Climate Concerns

A Campus Climate Concern is defined as any action or incident, either intentional or unintentional, that may discriminate against, stereotype, exclude, or harm anyone in our community. Concerns may stem from fear, misunderstanding, hatred, or bias, and may affect one’s ability to learn and thrive on campus. See the University’s “What are Campus Climate Concerns” page to learn more.

Members of the campus community who believe they have personally experienced a campus climate concern, or who have witnessed a campus climate concern, can report to the University’s Campus Climate Impact Committee (CCIC) by clicking here and follow the appropriate steps. This team is available to support and guide students seeking assistance in determining how to handle a campus climate concern.

If a campus climate concern committed by a student is also a violation of the University’s Student Code of Conduct, the individual will be subject to disciplinary action by SCCS. The Campus Climate Concern Report will alert the University to this incident and any possible violations.

Even when a campus climate concern occurs, disciplinary or corrective action may not be taken toward the offender if it is determined that the campus climate concern was a protected exercise of their First Amendment rights of freedom of speech or freedom of expression. For more information, please see the university’s page on Freedom of Speech.

Prohibited Conduct

Find more information about reporting violations of the University’s Policy on Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault, Dating and Domestic Violence, and Stalking on the Title IX website.


Students of Concern

If a student, faculty, or staff member is concernedgraphic image of two arms hugging a heart about a student who may be showing concerning behaviors are encouraged to refer that student to the Center for Care & Resilience either by calling 865-974-HELP (4357) or completing a referral form.

During regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.), 974-HELP calls are answered by a member of the Center for Care & Resilience team. After hours and on weekends and holidays, it is answered by a mental health professional who will connect you to appropriate/immediate resources and provide a referral to the Care & Resilience team.