Are you or someone you know being hazed?
Hazing can affect people in many different ways including: anger, confusion, betrayal, fear, resentment, embarrassment, humiliation, hopelessness, helplessness, anxiety, and/or depression. If you or someone you know is experiencing any of these feelings, contact 865-974-HELP or complete the HELP referral form.
Know that you are not alone and there are resources to support you. Listed below are links to resources:
Did you know UT has a Hazing Prevention Team?
The Hazing Prevention Team is a collective group of students, staff, and campus administrators who are passionate about raising awareness regarding hazing and working with offices and departments across the entire campus to help prevent the dangers of hazing.
Please visit https://hazingprevention.utk.edu/ for more information.
Alternatives to Hazing
Organizations should develop activities for members that are in line with the group’s purpose, values, and mission. The activities should help members build healthy relationships in a safe and productive manner that is in line with University rules, Internal/National Organization policy, and the law. It can sometimes be difficult for organizations to come up with activities that help foster unity amongst all members in a creative yet healthy way. Therefore, this list was developed to share ideas with organizations and promote healthy alternatives to hazing. It is not an inclusive list, nor is it an endorsement of any company or activity. The list is specific to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and surrounding areas.
Extreme Air Sports
Attend a Sporting Event
- Ijams Nature Center (Hiking, Ropes Course, Bike, Kayaking, Paddle Boarding)
- Knoxville Greenways and Trails (Running, Walk, Bike)
- RecSports Outdoor in East TN
- RecSports Equipment Rentals
- The Lost Sea Adventure
Haunted House (Seasonal)
Play a Sport Together
Group Fitness Classes
Downtown Knoxville Events
- Events page: Ice Skating, Movies, Live Music, and Farner’s Markets
Host a First Aid Course
Host a Cooking Class
Indoor Sky Diving
Outdoor Gravity Park
White Water Rafting
- Outdoor Chattanooga (Disc Golf, Hiking, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing)
- Lookout Mountain (Ruby Falls, Incline Railway, Rock City)
- Racoon Mountain Cave Tours
- Segway & Bike Tours
Sky Diving/Hang Gliding
- Outdoor Chattanooga (Hang Gliding, Sky Diving)
Host a Life Skills Workshop
- How to Change a Tire
- How to Change Your Oil
Host Dinner for New Members
- Have each class host a dinner for new members
- Discuss “what I wish I knew then, that I know now” with real advice
Host a Member Talent Show for Members and New Members to attend
Host a Personality Inventory Workshop Utilizing Myers-Briggs, Strengths Quest, or Similar Personality Style Test to Better Understand Similarities and Differences of Members